2012 MSSA Undergraduate Student Paper Competition
MID-SOUTH SOCIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
2012 UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT PAPER COMPETITION
(Printable Flyer: 2012 Undergraduate Paper Competition)
The Mid-South Sociological Association invites the submission of student papers for its annual undergraduate student paper competition. The competition is open to students in the Mid-South Region and to other undergraduate students who are members, or become members, of the Mid-South Sociological Association. A prize of $50 will be awarded for the best paper. The authors of the papers selected will be presented with certificates of merit after presentations of papers at the 2012 MSSA Annual Meeting. Each of the submissions will be evaluated by a committee of scholars based on (1) originality, (2) contribution or potential contribution to the discipline, (3) clarity of arguments, and (4) mechanics (i.e. neatness, use of an appropriate format, grammar, spelling, etc.).
Rules for the 2012 Competition
Papers may be submitted by the undergraduate student or nominated by faculty, but in any case, each paper must be accompanied by a cover letter requesting consideration for the MSSA Undergraduate Student Paper Competition. The letter must include the title of the paper, author(s) of the paper, the school affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address of the author(s). In addition, author(s) must submit the name and contact information of a faculty sponsor from their institution. The author’s name and title of the paper should be included on the title page only in order to prepare for an anonymous judging process. The title of the paper must be repeated at the top of the first page of the text. Furthermore:
- The maximum length of an eligible paper shall be 20 double spaced pages of text, not counting abstract, reference, tables, and figures.
- Papers may be co-authored with a maximum of three student authors, but no graduate students or faculty.
- Papers must not have been submitted for publication prior to submission for award consideration.
- Author(s) must identify a faculty sponsor from their institution. Students are encouraged to seek faculty feedback on their papers prior to submission.
- Author(s) are encouraged to seek conference travel funding through their department, or other sources such as the AKD Travel Award program: http://sites.google.com/site/
- To receive full recognition for participation, submission must meet deadlines, participants must be members of MSSA and registered for the annual meetings, must present their papers at the 2012 Annual Meeting November 7-10 in Mobile, AL, and they must attend the banquet where winners will be recognized: http://www.midsouthsoc.org/
Papers should be submitted as a Word document (or rich text file [.rtf]) by email to Dr. DeMond Miller, Vice President-Elect, MSSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2012. If you have any questions regarding the competition, please contact Dr. Miller at the email address above or by phone at 856-256-4500 ext. 3517.
Non-competition options: Students may also elect to submit their papers to a) a special non-competition student session  (indicate this in cover letter); or b) a regular session as identified in the MSSA Call for Papers: http://www.midsouthsoc.org/
This information should be submitted via email along with the paper submission.
 In cases of financial difficulty, a limited number of free banquet tickets may be provided for those who submit papers for competition. Email email@example.com for details.
 Note: non-competition student authors still need to identify a faculty sponsor.