2012 MSSA Graduate Student Paper of Distinction Award
MID-SOUTH SOCIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
2012 GRADUATE STUDENT
“PAPER OF DISTINCTION” AWARD
(Printable Flyer: 2012 Graduate Student Paper Award)
The Mid-South Sociological Association invites the submission of student papers for the annual Graduate Student Paper Session and “Paper of Distinction” Award. The award process is open to graduate students who are members, or become members, of the Mid-South Sociological Association. Among the papers submitted, an award will be presented to any paper that is reviewed and evaluated as possessing a high level of originality and significant potential for contribution to the discipline. If such a paper is so identified, the author(s) will be presented with a “Paper of Distinction” award at the MSSA Banquet, which includes a $50 stipend toward the cost of your conference hotel room(1). The award will also include editorial review assistance from suitable persons so identified by the Vice President in coordination with the Editors of Sociological Spectrum.
Rules for the 2012 Award Process
Papers may be submitted by the graduate student or nominated by faculty, but in any case, each paper must be accompanied by a cover letter(2) requesting consideration for the Graduate Student “Paper of Distinction” Award. The letter must include the title of the paper, author(s) of the paper, the school affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address of the author(s). In addition, author(s) must submit the name and contact information of a faculty sponsor from their institution. The author’s name and title of the paper should be included on the title page only in order to prepare for an anonymous judging process. The title of the paper must be repeated at the top of the first page of the text. Furthermore:
- The maximum length of an eligible paper shall be 25 double spaced pages of text, not counting abstract, reference, tables, and figures.
- Papers may be co-authored with a maximum of three student authors, but no faculty.
- Papers must not have been submitted for publication prior to submission for award consideration.
- Author(s) must identify a faculty sponsor from their institution. Students are encouraged to seek faculty feedback on their papers prior to submission.
- Author(s) are encouraged to seek conference travel funding through their department, or other sources such as the AKD Travel Award program: http://sites.google.com/site/alphakappadeltainternational/Home/student-travel
- To receive full recognition for participation, submission must meet deadlines, participants must be members of MSSA and registered for the annual meetings, must present their papers at the 2012 Annual Meeting November 7-10 in Mobile, AL, and they must attend the banquet where winners will be recognized(3): http://www.midsouthsoc.org/
Papers should be submitted as a Word document (or rich text file [.rtf]) by email to Dr. Ruth Chananie-Hill, Vice President, MSSA, at email@example.com by July 15, 2012. If you have any questions regarding the competition, please feel free to contact Dr. Chananie-Hill at the email address above or by phone at (319) 273-7242.
Non-competition options: Students may also elect to submit their papers to a) a special non-competition student session (4) (indicate this in cover letter); or b) a regular session as identified in the MSSA Call for Papers: http://www.midsouthsoc.org/about-2/2012-annual-conference/ Please choose only one of the three options – competition, non-competition student session, or regular session.
- Award winner(s) must be registered at the official conference hotel and registered members of MSSA in order to receive the monetary stipend.
- This information should be submitted via email along with the paper submission.
- In cases of financial difficulty, a limited number of free banquet tickets may be provided for those who submit papers for competition. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Note: non-competition student authors still need to identify a faculty sponsor.